Wednesday, August 20, 2008

{The Legend of Pancho Barnes}

Not the fearless pilot, Pancho Barnes- just me.
I was fortunate enough to be invited to a film screening of a movie about a female pilot named Pancho Barnes. She was an unflappable character who is not well known but has earned a place in aviation history as one of the greatest female pilots. I just got lost in this story, and it somewhat ignited that spark of wanting to fly my own plane. I've co-piloted once, in poor conditions that terrified me- but never lost the idea of wanting to do it on my own. My dad used to fly over our house in Miami and scare my mother to death. I must have a bit of the adventure spirit in there somewhere. This story describes a woman with a personality that was looked down upon, misunderstood, and was way ahead of her time. I'd like to think I would have been great friends with her.

Barnes was renowned as a tough and fearless pilot, performing as a barnstormer throughout California and appearing in numerous films in the 1920s and '30s. Barnes was a friend and competitor of another female air pioneer, Amelia Earhart, and broke Earhart's air speed record, flying at 196 miles per hour in 1930.

Brig. Gen. Charles E. Yeager was among many aviation personalities entertained by Barnes at her guest ranch near Edwards Air Force Base, where Yeager became the first pilot to break the sound barrier in 1947. Known as The Happy Bottom Riding Club, the ranch was a hangout for test pilots and movie stars. It later was immortalized in Tom Wolfe's book, The Right Stuff. The club was destroyed by fire in 1953. Many of these historical aviators, including Yeager and Bob Hoover, were interviewed for the movie and tell their recollections of the wild days at the ranch.

We are looking forward to seeing the completed product on KOCE (PBS), and possibly in some of the more prominent film festivals.

No comments: