Sunday, October 19, 2008

{artist: Dale Fairbanks: The Berry Pickers}

I've shown artist Dale Fairbanks work on my blog before, and wanted to share her latest piece. Her art speaks to me, and the added story makes it more vibrant than it already is. I see different things now, and feel different feelings after reading the accompanying story. She is amazing and I'm so happy to have her words and works in my mind and heart.


The Berry Pickers

Price: $9,500 ♦ Size: 60" x 60" ♦ Date: 2008 ♦ Medium: Oil on Canvas

Our son returned to Alaska and the river Tanana in May, 2008, his truck primed and loaded, hauling behind an eighteen foot Jon boat packed with cold winter gear and provisions. The man, my boy, is twenty-one years old fierce on the trail of a dream and old roots he calls home.
I was slashing paint across a white fresh canvas before he crossed out of Florida...crying like a fool for what I am confused. He'd made sure in two months of packing that we would be glad to see him go.
The Berry Pickers appeared unsummoned to remind me that this boy is formed and done with growing. They taunted me, called me his yoke, a reminder of his vulnerability, his fear. The Berry Pickers will see to him now, and not in my fashion. They will leave him be, watch him out of the corners of their eyes, monitor his mistakes with no word, no opinion, no judgment. He will follow the trapping trail and disappear, and I trust with faltering faith he will return. The Berry Pickers understand he may not and go about their business of gathering: blueberries, salmonberries, lowbush cranberries, gathering for the long impatient white of winter.


New Work: See Dale's online portfolio for details.
www.dalefairbanks.com

No comments: