Wednesday, January 14, 2009

{design: bathroom idea, fossil murals}


I always seem to be bored with peoples bathrooms. I long for the unique and unusual, or at least, give me a beautiful piece of art. Right? Well, I'm designing another bathroom for my cabin, and have been searching high and low to find something that makes sense for a lakehouse guest bath, but that is a showstopper.

Well folks, here it is. These are fossil murals and mosaics composed of the sedimentary layers of the deepest part of Fossil Lake, an ancient Eocene lake in existence in Southwest Wyoming 45 to 50 million years ago. Now located 7,300 feet above sea level, the layers of sedimentary stone reveal the rich variety of life that thrived in and around the lake during the Eocene.

The spectacular Green River Formation specimens are quarried by a specially trained team who remove the fossils by hand, according to scientific specifications. Each digging season, approximately May through October, yields a fascinating collection of finds, including a wide variety of fishes, as well as the more rare palm fronds, turtles, crocodiles, and birds.

They are pricey, but how many people can say they have art that is 50 million years old? I have an appointment today in their showroom to see what I can find.

If you want more details about this fascinating find click here

No comments: