Friday, January 16, 2009

{design: reclaimed fireplace mantels & stone floors}


$22,500


I've been on the hunt for some interesting pieces to incorporate into my cabin, and have stumbled upon some incredible finds. When my husband and I designed the new addition, we put in as many fireplaces as possible, and then were left with the task of making each one unique and special. These fireplaces are the hub and focal point of all five rooms they are in. Most importantly to me, was the library, my sanctuary. One the flip side of the library fireplace is the family room fireplace, so I wanted them to have a cohesive feel, but not the same mantel.

These antique French limestone mantels are pieces of art and can give a room that homey, rustic feel-while still keeping it sophisticated and simple. I just couldn't stand the thought of staring into a cookie cutter fireplace when we will be using it so much and with lots of friends and family. These are from Exquisite Surfaces in Beverly Hills. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely think these are extravagant purchases, but these types of details will absolutely MAKE your renovation. You really can tell the difference, I promise.

$18,200

$32,500

$8,200


This flooring, rescued from a very old estate in France is absolutely gorgeous. They bring it back as a large slab and make 3 horizontal cuts in it to reveal three different grades of stone. This one is the first cut, and the most expensive at approx. $58 per s/f (based on over 500 s/f). My little toes were in sheer heaven walking on this!

1 comment:

pve design said...

stunning stone, and a fireside would be all the more gracious living with one of those incredible mantles.