Sunday, October 26, 2008

{sailing lesson: 1}


My house looks out onto the bay, so every morning and evening is spent watching the boaters head out and head back in again. I'm happy to say that I am joining the ranks as one of those boaters.

Yesterday, we began our quest to learn how to sail. I've been boating my whole life, and truly love being out on the water. It is one of my greatest passions, and a core part of who I am.

Since I moved out to LA five years ago, I have only been out on the Pacific Ocean twice... yesterday being the second. The strange thing about it, is that both times were on sailboats. That is strange, because I never considered myself to be a sailboat person and almost 100% of my boating experience comes from powerboating.

It's inexplicable to know what changed in me, that has drawn me to sailing, but I'm going to go with it, and hopefully learn a lot about myself in the process. 9 lessons to go.

Learned in lesson 1:

- There are these little pieces of yarn on the sails that are called tell tales. You are supposed to look at them all the time to look at how the wind is blowing. I'm assuming that is where you get the term "telltale signs". Right! Right?

- Lots of sailor talk, and I don't mean cursing. I learned that a LONG time ago. I mean real sailor talk, like jib, halyard, clew, tack, hank, shackle, hull, boom, tiller. It's a whole lot of hub bub to me.

- We learned the five points of sailing. I can't remember even one. Not even one of the words describing one...

The fact of the matter is, I may not be cut out for this. More to come. Lesson 2 next Sunday.

No comments: