Monday, January 19, 2009

{design: vintage reclaimed wood floors}


Historic Barnwood Oak

If you've ever replaced your floors, or even had them refinished- then you know how daunting of a task it can become. There are so many choices, colors, textures, new, old, engineered, reclaimed, etc. UGH. I've made some mistakes in my life when it comes to floors, but mistakes no more, I know what I need in my floors. For example, my store has engineered flooring due to the high traffic and high usage of the space. We are constantly sliding heavy things and need the floors to be scratch proof. However, in my main residence in LA- we made a hasty decision to have three bedrooms refloored while we were on our honeymoon, and came back to less-than-desireable floors. The moral of the story, don't leave town while your floors are being done unless you have them sign off that they will give you their first born if they are not done to your exact specs....

Coopersmark Oak Barrels

Fortunately, the rest of the house has gorgeous 85 year old Oak floors that were laid in 1923 when the house was built, so we just tolerate the other floors in the bedrooms. Which leads me to my cabin, which in case you didn't notice, has become a bit of an obsession. I've been determined to not settle on even the tiniest point, which has led me on a search throughout the country for the perfect wood floors. While we were in the Hamptons over the summer, we found a little shop in Bridgehampton with the floors I desperately wanted, but hence, could not be shipped across the country without quite an ordeal and large expense. We were also weary of ordering them, having them shipped, and then taking the chance of them not being exactly what we wanted. So, the search continued, until I found Vintage Wood Floors right here in Southern California.

Sample boards in the showroom





The view inside one of their warehouses



Old red barnwood from a dismantled 50+ year old barn in Wisconsin. I'm going to pick each piece myself (they said I could!) and have all my windows and doors trimmed in this.

This is a sample board of wood that we discussed as a possibility for the exterior horizontal finish with chinking. We decided it was too rustic and picked a different wood and finish. This is a great way to ensure you are getting exactly what you asked for and envisioned. If they can't provide you with a sample board, or you don't ask for one, then you just may not get what you want.... Clearly not an option for me.

To see more of their work and about their company click here

No comments: